Pages

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Saving Mr. Banks

So I finally saw Saving Mr. Banks on Christmas Eve and I don't think I was as head over heels with it as everyone else was. I think it was good, it was just different than I thought it would be.

I'll start off saying that if you thought the main focus would be on Walt and P.L., you might be slightly disappointed. I definitely was going in expecting more Walt than P.L., whether that was the fault of the marketing or just because of some fault of my own. By the way, I'm trying to not to include spoilers but it may happen. So proceed with caution if you haven't seen it yet.

The movie was definitely emotional. I'm not the type that gets emotional during movies but I surely could feel the frustration of the Sherman brothers, the script writer (bad fan, I don't remember his name), and Walt. I really felt for Travers as she cried while watching the movie during it's premiere. I also liked the little touches like Walt's meeting with GE, and the "it's a small world" stuff I saw in the office when the movie moved to '64. 

I think what turned me off mainly was that I was just expecting something else. I expected the movie to be a little lighter hearted, but P.L. dealing with her alcoholic dad who she eventually lost and her mom who was unhappy and losing her marbles as well got a little heavier than I expected. (Don't get me wrong, it was still really good.) But I still would've been happier with slightly fewer and shorter flashbacks, though I did see how they were necessary. 

Another turn off of mine is a little petty but I didn't like BJ Novak. Probably because I can't see him as anything else than Ryan from The Office. I think he did well but he just didn't completely fit the role in my opinion. 

Past those couple things, some of them just small personal problems, the movie was absolutely awesome. It's great to see the development of P.L. throughout the movie. Emma Thompson did amazing job. Unfortunately, I've heard there is plenty of false information so don't completely believe everything from the movie. I've not heard exactly what is and is credible. But the film was so well made.

My favorite parts had to be P.L. dancing during Let's Go Fly A Kite and the last few seconds as it shows the winds changing and reads the same lines Bert does in the beginning of Mary Poppins (and the same as in the beginning of the movie). I also loved the tapes played during the credits from the actual recordings of P.L.'s cowriting of the script. 

Well thanks for reading this fairly short review of Saving Mr. Banks, and I definitely recommend you go see it soon. It was pretty great. I'll hopefully write soon but about the parks. The parks are my first love and I don't think I make for a very good movie critic. Although I may not be a very decent theme park critic either! But I appreciate anyone reading this and feel free to respond!

P.S. I agree with P.L. about one thing for sure. I did not like Mr. Banks mustache. I watched Mary Poppins a few days before seeing the movie and the mustache creeped me out the whole time. But that's just me. 

Also I just typed this on a mobile device so there's bound to be errors. I'm too lazy to proofread though. So please ignore them for the moment. Thanks again!

2 comments:

  1. It's more than just a Disney movie being made, it's a woman's life coming out on film and it's a very well-told tale in that general aspect. Good review.

    ReplyDelete