Pages

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Renovation of Imagination

I've been hearing a little bit about the rumored closing of the Imagination Pavilion as soon as 2014 starts. From the people I follow on Twitter, this is probably one of the most reminisced rides (next to Horizons) and a lot of people complain about the pavilion in it's current state compared to when Dreamfinder was still present. 
    
Most of the talk I've seen about it has come from social media, so none of it is really documented or completely reliable, but Tom Bricker has written an article on it. Bricker suggests that this may be a way of "quietly killing" the pavilion, which I sure hope isn't so. While the current Journey Into Imagination is definitely not my favorite ride or a "must-do" for me, I don't hate it as much as many others do. This may be because the closest I've gotten to the original ride is a YouTube video. From what I've heard, the original was the best, and the second and third versions fall far behind, with the second being absolutely terrible. Bricker points out in his article that he would not want a complete redo of the original ride, which I agree with. Disney isn't (or shouldn't be) about repeating itself. The seemingly ideal situation is the reappearance of Dreamfinder with Figment, but with a different story than the original. What I don't support is the use of Phineas and Ferb.

I'm not going to lie, I like Phineas and Ferb. I actually own Perry the Platypus pajamas. But don't stick the characters in the ride. I don't know how much longer they're even going to last. I don't see the show getting as much airtime as it used to. The whole Perry the Platypus themed merchandise fad seems to have come and gone. Whatever ride comes, I'd just prefer if it wouldn't become outdated in the next few years. Yes, the franchise may stay somewhat relavant in the parks with the Agent P World Showcase thing (sorry, I don't know it's official name). Yes, the boys definitely represent imagination and creativity well, but I just don't like the idea of them in the park. 

Moving on to the theater, I was less satisfied with Captain EO than I was the ride. I only remember seeing Honey, I Shrunk the Audience once, and I don't remember much besides the mice/air blowing trick. Captain EO is better than Honey from what I remember, and I actually do like it some, but I'm not head over heels about it. I actually skipped it on my last trip, not knowing it might close soon and because I just didn't care to see it. There is the fact that I'm not a huge Michael Jackson fan in the first place, even though I do like We Are Here to Change the World. But the whole idea of dancing and singing saves the world thing isn't my cup of tea. Or maybe I'm completely missing something. I know a lot of people like EO a lot, and it isn't that I don't enjoy it, but I feel like its run it's course (twice) and it's time to move on.

Not having any innovative ideas for a ride or show myself, I'll probably be happy with whatever happens, as long as the pavilion reopens (assuming the rumors are true and it actually closes in the first place). Whatever happens, I'll try not to be too picky. (I'm usually satisfied fairly easy.) I'd just like a fresh ride, Dreamfinder would be welcome, and a great, original show to replace EO. And I'm hoping that the notion of killing the pavilion doesn't become reality.


No comments:

Post a Comment